Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kargil war-whose fault?

Kargil war- A war which was an armed conflict between India and Pakistan that took place between May and July 1999 in the Kargil district of Kashmir and elsewhere along the Line of Control (LOC).

History can be cruel companion for events like the Kargil conflict, no matter how momentous. restricted to argued ,remote inhospitable corner of India, it was little surprise that majority of Indians had never heard of Kargil or Drass or tiger hill and Tololing till the media brought it to their homes, when media aired news of the kargil,it was then that everyone realized that Pakistan has attacked us and our tiger hill is occupied with them………… I am writing all this as yesterday I studied “ kargil-the inside story” by Harinder Baweja(journalist)…..and by reading this I remembered all those days of 1999 when kargil war was going on,
I still remember I was in 5th std merely7 years old… when I knew that there is some war going on…hardly I know the meaning of war then, for me it was like a play or game which I was seeing in TV, ,my family all the time kept discussing about war, soldiers and scolding Pakistan…..it was in Kendriya Vidyalaya school(my school) when I came to know from my friends that war is something where people die, I have seen my friends ,my seniors crying and teachers consoling them as in KV mostly army personnel kids study……..

I realized war’s terrible results when our school took us to army hospital in kasauli to meet some of the injured soldiers of kargil who were there for medical treatment, first time I saw blood profusely bleeding from a soldier’s knee…….,there were many without an arm, leg, eye etc………..as a child I just cried and still whenever I remember that incident ,tears come across my eyes……..back at home I told my mother that today I visited army hospital where I saw people without legs and arms, I asked her,” why they don’t have legs and arms,? who did this? ,,,,,,,,,mumma very nicely explained me that they sacrificed their legs, arms, eyes to keep our country safe we are staying happily because they are there fighting for us ,,,,,,,,at that time I was not in a position to understand all this hate and war between two countries……..but now when I think over that war or read books on kargil,,,,,,,I sheiver and I fill with anger that how could they dare to harm us or attack us? I don’t know why but I have this dream that once in my lifetime I want to see these bloody terrorist and at any cost want to shoot them,kill them…

my anger an frustration is not only limited to these barbaric rascals but for our government too….It was stated by one of soldiers that it was 1 Naga who firstly move to Drass almost overnight without time to get used to the rarefield atmosphere and above all, not equipped for high altitude warfare they had no snow shoes, no special clothing required for heights above 12,000 feet .nor did they have local guides. all they were told was that you have to capture the objective by first light, even the maps they were given were photocopies.

There is more to this tragic tale of confusion and neglect, they did not have a single medium machine gun and were issued INSAS rifles, a weapon they were totally unfamiliar with. For counter insurgencies operations they used AK-47.the officers and men of 1 Naga had never trained with these rifles. they didn’t even know its range.
In that confusion such minor matters were brushed aside. but now I just think that how many lives could have been saved? And how many were lost? History will never be able to judge. in the eventual afterglow of victory those responsible for such crass negligence were not even touched .instead they probably were promoted.

On may 29 the Indian air force had joined the battle on may 26and their MIGS had been pounding the heights .but even that had not made too much of difference to the enemy as they were having fantastic fortifications.


what was most surprising that the prime minister had made his famous trip to Lahore only three months earlier. Which only added to the complacency troops along the LOC in Kashmir too had been thinned out. war was certainly not in the minds of army commanders. internal security duties and counter insurgency operations were .not of many possible scenarios chalked out in war games and depicted a situation where Pakistan would switch from sending trained militants to sending army regulars, heavily armed, fortified, well shocked and that too across the height of kargil….in a meticulously planned operation that would remain undetected for weeks…….its really shocking and bizarre that how cheap Pakistan reacted to our proposal of friendship.




What was even more surprising that Indian Govt and top army officials didn’t recognize this as a war ,acc to them it was just a localized affair till 26th may. it was later on may 29 that government and politicians recognized the seriousness of war and then the war got its name- OPERATION VIJAY. But what frustrates me is what about those grueling days between may4 and may 26 when our army men were being slaughtered.


Its really a shame to our intelligence ,RAW and MI(military intelligence) that they didn’t even provided the slightest warning of possible intrusions….well nothing can bring back those brave soldiers who because of government, MI,RAW and top army officials negligence suffered and lead to death,,,,,.
In fact the operational failures which cost so army lives were not even within the ambit of the kargil review committee .with the Pakistan army continuing to infiltrate across the border and the loss of additional soldiers to such attacks ,the issue of operational failures acquire added urgency………
I just want that the sacrifices of so many brave soldiers should not be in vain………..those who are responsible for these failures should get punished…….


My utmost tribute to all those brave hearts who fought for our nation and sacrificed their today for our tomorrow,,,

A 10 year child very truly wrote to our soldiers that , “caring not for your life at the battlefield ,you uphold the nation’s honor every hour .never can we I, as nation ,pay you back for what you have done for us. All we can say is thanks.”
I too wish I also die fighting for my nation. And uphold my nation’s dignity………
Very true and touching these lines are……..really we can never ever pay back those sacrifices by our brave soldiers .A hearty tribute to them.

Well in the end I want to conclude by this inspirational and revengeful dialogue of movie INDIAN that:-

Dudh maangoge to kheer denge ,
Kashmir maangoge to cheer denge”

And I really mean it infact we all Indians mean it.

“Beshak apni jaan bhi khoni pade par kisi ko bhi apne desh ko hathiyane nahi denge”

2 comments:

  1. I am deeply saddened to hear of the inside report Kiran! its a shame none the less!! hope the Indian government will not commit such grave errors again! may the souls of people who laid down their lives rest in peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup true..AND THANKS FOR REPLY RAJESH.KEEP COMMENTING

    ReplyDelete